Saturday, June 11, 2011

Post #2 - A Rescue Story: Wednesday, May 11, 2011



Just got an update on the retired show dogs that need help. It's a lot worse than I thought. The pictures that were attached makes it look like the dogs are in some sort of outside dog runs?? I don't understand, I thought they were show dogs? Why would they be kept outside in pens? They look beautiful, but neglected. Here's the latest update from the Animal Control Officer who is caring for them:

Well, the weekend passed with poop scoopin and LOTS of brushing (with more needed!)

Turns out there are 7 dogs…3 males and 4 females.  The one old male Diesel..has so much heart and is so sweet.  But he really struggles with his back end.  I love him and his sweet spirit but he is sad.

I found the AKC papers and these guys with the exception of 2 are all seniors.  But don’t let the grey faces fool you…still active and in good health.  EVERYONE needs basic brushes, baths  and nail trims and I am working on that.

The wife is going to her lawyer to get power of attny.  Right now the dogs are not free to be placed.  I am hoping that it happens, but for now we are in holding pattern.  Until something changes, they are safe and I will continue to care for them.  I will keep you all updated unless you aren’t interested….if so, just let me know.

The reference to the one old guy who is having problems with his back end immediately makes me fear that he has Degenerative Myelopathy (DM). If so, and if he hasn't received proper care, he may be in serious trouble. I wonder what the other dogs are like? The dogs are still not free to be placed though, so what can we do? The fact that this one person, the AC officer, is going to such extraordinary lengths to help these dogs makes me want to jump in and offer to help in any way GSRA can. Do you know how many people (AC Officer or not) that would have just walked away from this? Whenever I see someone willing to go out on a limb to help a dog - without any guarantee that they will get help from someone - it makes me want to do whatever I can to support them. Maybe if more people knew they wouldn't be left alone in these types of situations they'd be more willing to help dogs they see on the side of the road, or being neglected in someone's yard, or being dumped at a shelter? 

That picture of the dog looking right into the camera is pulling at my heart and conscience. These dogs need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment