Monday, June 13, 2011

Post #5 - A Rescue Story: Wednesday June 2nd, 2011

Emailed the Board today and explained the situation with the 7 shepherds. Everyone agreed that this is a case that GSRA needs to take on, Yeah!!!! We discussed it agreed that the next step that should be taken is to get a vet out there to examine all the dogs and to see exactly what we are dealing with, health-wise. So I called the mobile vet that JACPL had recommended. She and I had a great talk. She is awesome. Very rescue-savvy and compassionate, yet realistic. Exactly what is needed here. She explained that she got her start with animals at a large, inner city shelter. She said she learned there that not every animal can be saved and, like me, that there are worse things than death. She agreed that we needed to do a full exam on each dog, take blood for heartworm check and do fecals - I explained that many of the dogs were extremely thin and so she is worried they might have gastrointestinal parasites. We also talked a lot about Diesel, the guy with probable DM and Susann, the girl with the big mammary tumor. She wanted to know how the rescue felt about the future of these dogs. I said we were hopeful, but also realistic. She understood. So, we are meeting out there on Friday night after work to have all the dogs examined.

I heard from Angie today and she said that she wishes I could have seen the dogs when she went out there yesterday. She said that  every dog went to the door and nosed at it as if to say “can I go out today?”  , “Are my new friends outside today?” .  She was amazed that dogs that were timid to venture out before were all so dramatically changed! This is music to my ears!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment