Friday, June 24, 2011

Post #15 - A Rescue Story: Tuesday June 21, 2011

Angie with her girl Georgia
Georgia-Mae has left the building!!!!! Wow, wow, wow!!!!! It's been a long time coming, seeing these dogs get into real homes, but it's finally happening. Tonight it was Georgia's turn. She wasn't exactly sure what was going on but, in true Georgia style, she took it all in stride. Her new foster Mom, Sara, drove a long way to get her and I think it is safe to say that it was love at first sight when we saw Georgia for the first time. Sara had emailed me after the very first blog I wrote and asked if she could care for Georgia when she was ready to leave the kennel. She and her husband knew right away that Georgia was meant to be with them. After weeks of waiting, they finally got their girl tonight. As happy as we all were to see her get ready for her new life, there was also an element of bitter-sweetness for Angie. These dogs have literally consumed her life for the past few months. As much as she is thrilled that they are now moving on to greener pastures, she is going to miss them all terribly. I can only imagine. I know how I feel about these guys after seeing them only once or twice a week. For Angie, it's been at least 2 times a day, every day, for nearly three months. She sat on the floor of the kennel and said her goodbyes to Georgia who seemed to listen intently to all that Angie was telling her. Remarkably, as Angie was talking to her (and crying) Georgia climbed into her lap and laid down. 
Georgia comforts Angie and says "I love you"
This was the first time Georgia had done anything like this - always being a little bit more reserved than the other dogs. There is no doubt that she could see her human was upset and she wanted to comfort her. Seeing Georgia try to comfort Angie like this was testament, once again, to the incredible spirit of protectiveness that dwells inside these noble dogs. 

After we all said our goodbyes, we went to Sara's car and helped Georgia to get in. Sara had prepared well for her travel buddy. There was a huge, comfy dog bed on the floor in front of the passenger seat so that Georgia could either sit on the seat next to Sara, or lie on the dog bed for the ride home. Georgia didn't really know what to make of the car and I admit that, seeing her confusion, made me a bit upset. I knew she was going to be completely fine of course, but just the fact that she wasn't sure what was going on made me feel guilty. I wished I could have explained to her all the wonderful things that she was about to experience. (As a side note, the whole time we were trying to coax Georgia into the car, Tina was also trying to get in. I swear, that dog lives to ride...which is just as well since we will be going on a loooooooong car ride on Sunday to take her to her new home in GA!!). So off Georgia and Sara rode with us waiving madly and wiping away tears of happiness. The Fantastic Four are now the Terrific Three.
Georgia is READY to go!

On Friday afternoon, the remaining dogs will be moved out of the kennel. Buster actually had an interview tonight with his prospective Foster mom and her two male GSDs and everything went perfectly. All the boys were mellow and cordial with each other and so Foster Mom Carol will be welcoming Buster into her home on Friday night. Queenie will be staying with me for a while as we continue to look for a foster home for her. We already have 6 dogs, so, while Queenie will be loved and very welcomed at our place, we know she needs more individual care and training than we can offer. Still, for the time being, she has a nice, fluffy bed with her name on it waiting for her at our place. Tina will leave Friday afternoon and bunk with Angie until Sunday when she and I will drive down to SC to meet her new foster Mom. With the last of the dogs moving, it definitely feels like one chapter is ending, but with another one just beginning. All five dogs need medical care that we couldn't start until they were in homes where they could be nursed through their respective treatments. After that, the search will be on for their forever homes. There is still a LOT of work to be done in order to fulfill our promise to these dogs, but step by step we are getting there. 

Even without having all the dogs in their foster homes, I feel tonight as if we have met our goal of bringing these dogs back to life, spiritually.  I cannot tell you how much it THRILLS me to see the changes in these dogs each time I go out there. Tonight, Buster literally came barreling out of the kennel to say hello. Remember, this is the guy who was previously so shut down we couldn't get any reaction from him. Tonight he was agile (well, as agile as a 10.5 year old, 105lb boy can be!), his tongue was lolling out to the side with happiness and he was all about meeting the new people and new dogs. Tina pranced around as if she owned the place (kind of ironic when you think about it!!) and even sweet Queenie was a bit more relaxed. I wish there was someway to tell them that the best is still yet to come!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for these blogs! I am sitting here with tears running down my face, I'm so proud of these wonderful dogs and all of you who have done so much to care for them. I own a GSD, our second one in 15 years, and they are wonderful animals! When we got our Zoe as a puppy, I used to tell people she was smarter than we were! She is now 3 years old and is a wonderful dog! Our first GSD, Kaiser, was my protector and a great dog. When we had to put him down 3 years ago, I cried for 2 weeks! My husband told me, "you need to either get another dog or get a job!" I got our Zoe! Again, thank you for your great work!

    ReplyDelete