Saturday, June 11, 2011

Post #1 - A Rescue Story: Friday, May 6, 2011


In amongst the usual pile of rescue emails today is one concerning a case that has really got me worried. Seems there is a kennel of GSDs that have been left unattended and neglected due to the illness of their owner/breeder. It's pretty local - but not sure how GSRA could help if the dogs are still legally owned by someone else. This is always a concern when we are notified about dogs (not already in shelters) needing help. This new case I just heard about sounds pretty desperate. An Animal Control Officer is currently caring from them, but she needs help. Here is what she wrote:

Ok..guys I am wanting to make you all aware of a possible situation that I might be needing some assistance with in the future.

I will not bore you with all the details but long story short there are 6 retired German Sheppard show dogs that might need placement soon.  Their owner is an elderly man (77) that is suffering from dementia and health problems.  The wife asked me a couple of years ago for help but the gentleman is very protective of the dogs and refused to allow me to take any.  The wife is having him committed this afternoon for psych evaluation and I am going to feed and care for the dogs over the weekend.

I do not know the status of the dogs..ages ,sex etc.  I do know that there is one older dog that appears to have either arthritis or dysplasia.  I am hoping that if it comes to it, my “rescue friends” can help me with placing these animals.  I will try and get some pictures this weekend.

Please let me know if you are willing to help if needed OR if you can offer any advice or assistance.  If this gentleman is not  sent to a nursing home, I still hope to convince him to relinquish a few dogs, so that he can better manage them. These are all friendly dogs and I would love to see them have at least a few years out of the kennels and in a pet home! 

The weather is starting to get really hot... are these dogs inside or outside? If they are retired show dogs, they have to be well cared for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment