Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Post #8 - A Rescue Story: Thursday June 9th, 2011

To find out how you can help, go to First Giving


**Editor's note: This blog entry was written by one of our other volunteers, Jon, who went to support Angie and the dogs on the day that Diesel and Susann were sent to the Rainbow Bridge.

Diesel - Gone, but never forgotten
Susann - Free now to terrorize all the other female dogs in heaven!
Diesel enjoying the warm morning air

It hasn't even been a week since I first met these dogs
 during their medical examinations. The moment I saw them that day, I immediately loved them all. Sadly, it was also at that time that I also realized that two of these broken shepherds wouldn't get to see the wonderful future that was being planned for them. I believe so strongly that no dog should ever die alone. These animals who stand by us humans through thick and thin deserve to have someone holding them when their time comes to pass. It's the least that we can do. That's why I went today. I wanted them to know that their lives *mattered* to someone. That, even though we weren't able to prevent their suffering over the last who-knows how many years, we were able - and willing - to be there with them right until the very end. I wanted Diesel and Susann to pass knowing that they were loved. 

Diesel, Angie, and Susann, Friends Furever
When I arrived today, Angie was walking Susann and Diesel was laying down in the garden enjoying a sun spot. The memory is vivid and some how comforting - the grass, the birds making music and the warm, humid morning air that let us know that summer was fast approaching. I talked with Angie for a time before the doctor arrived. Seeing how comfortable and relaxed the dogs were with her made it clear to me that these dogs were loved. As we stood talking, Diesel was restful but always intent on keeping Angie within sight. Susann wandered around sniffing the grass and flowers, but she never strayed far. The love that Angie felt for these 2 dogs (and all the dogs) translated into total trust on the part of the dogs - in their mind, as long as Momma Angie was there, nothing bad would happen.

Diesel enjoying his hotdog
My contribution to the day's event would come in the form of sausages. I'd already shared some with the other dogs still inside the kennel, but now it was time to treat Diesel and Susann to theirs. I unwrapped the snacks that I'd brought and gave these curious shepherds their first (I'm sure) taste of smoked sausage. Based on the speed with which they were devoured, I'd say they approved!

The doctor arrived and immediately set to work making both dogs comfortable. We started by keeping Susann rested in the shade and Diesel at a distance enjoying his sun spot. In only a short time though, Diesel decided he wouldn't have any distance between us and pulled himself to where Susann lay in Angie's arms. Susann had already passed but Diesel sniffed her and seemed satisfied that he understood the situation. He then lay himself down next to Angie and Susann for the last time. 
Susann and Angie - 2 Unforgettable Ladies
We all know what the death of a loved one feels like. I'll only say that it's personal. How you feel and how you deal with it is yours to live with. It was an honor to be with these dogs when they passed. As hard as it was, I was glad I was there. I am so grateful for the kindness  the doctor showed in handling Diesel and Susann today, and the gentle hands that both Angie and the doctor used in order to help them to their peaceful end. Diesel and Susann found their rest... and they were not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment