Friday, June 22, 2012

The Fabulous Five - 1 Year Later

Part 1 of a 5 Part Series

These original Seven Dogs touched the life of so many. These are the reflections of the rescuers, 1 year later.


Angie L. the original rescuer of these beautiful dogs...


Reflecting back over the events of the past year brings back a flood of emotions! I fell in love with these dogs instantly (as we all did) . I first met these gorgeous dogs when they were at their lowest point in life. Diesel could not walk, Susanne had mammary tumors, Queenie and Gunner were terrified of their own shadows and Tina, Georgia and Buster joined everyone in being matted and neglected.

However, I saw hope and light. Each time I visited I saw these dogs begin to blossom and begin to change before my eyes. Each visit with the dogs resulted in a new breakthrough. Slowly, I was beginning to see lights come on in seven pairs of eyes! I, however, was drowning. Emotionally, I was drained. I knew no one that would or could help me. These dogs needed so much more than I could give them.

GSRA to the rescue!

Memorial day 2011, GSRA came with volunteers, good food, supplements and most importantly ….LOVE! From that moment on, we were not alone anymore. The dogs and I had friends that were unfailing in their dedication to helping save these dogs! I cannot adequately express the feeling of sheer relief that came to me when GSRA wrapped their arms around all eight if us and said “don't worry, we are here now”.

From that moment on, life got better. Diesel and Susanne went to the Rainbow bridge surrounded by the love of a GSRA volunteer and myself. Sadly, they were not freed from their past life in the way we all hoped for, but freed nonetheless with love. Over the next few weeks I watched these dogs leave…never to look back at the hell they lived for years.

In October, I got the honor to see the Fab Five all together again and loved by their families. This is by far, the most rewarding experience I have ever had! Not only did I help save these dogs, but I met the most fabulous people that I am honored to call my friends! Yesterday, I assessed another shepherd and last week I pulled another one from my local shelter that is now safe in a GSRA foster home. I am so happy to be a part of the lifesaving GSRA team and so happy that the fab five all got to know the love and security of a family.

Buster 

Carol S. Buster's Foster Mom


Most people who have followed this blog and the story of the remarkable Fab Five know that we lost Buster shortly before Christmas 2011. I’ve struggled over what I wanted to say in this final public post about him. I’ve also struggled to choose just ONE favorite photo to post, but searching through the photos brought me to what I wanted to say. This photo was one of the first I ever took of him, taken the morning after his first night with me. My intent was to let him poke around in the yard, figuring out what this new place was, while I would work in the garden and keep a watchful eye on him. Wrong! It didn’t take him more than a few minutes to decide that I was the one who needed keeping an eye on, so he settled down at the edge of the garden and made sure I did things just right. This set the tone for pretty much all that followed with him; whatever I was doing, it must be intensely interesting and required his full attention! The thing I love most about this photo, and it took looking again after all this time to see it, is that it shows how willing he was to live in the “here and now,” rather than the “what was.” Look how much he’s come back to life after less than 24 hours in a dog-friendly home! He was blessedly free of the emotional scars that troubled the other dogs to varying degrees, somehow being able to never look back. Although we dearly wish he could have had longer in his new life, we truly did rescue his spirit. And that’s always the goal, isn’t it? Mission accomplished.


Stay Tuned for Gunner's "One Year Later" Update!!

1 comment:

  1. He only knew love when he left this place. They will always leave more behind than what we have given them. How wonderful for you to have him in your life. Thank you for taking such great care of him

    ReplyDelete